Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Sick-day e-mails.

So Buzzfeed has a post about sick-day e-mails we all wish we could send. Most of them are jokey and meant to be funny (I have to watch some TV show I love gorramit! Tee-hee!). But some are about anxiety and depression.

There are a lot of comments on the post about lumping in serious mental health realities with dumber /sillier stuff. Initially I was going to comment but it's been covered.



Anyway, what I did appreciate about the post was how nice it would be to be able to be honest with an employer about your own wellness.


Someone who lives with panic attacks and anxiety often has to just say they "don't feel good" or use some other euphemism for being unwell. I know over the several years I was living with panic attacks, I often felt I didn't have the language to really talk about it. 


I think just being able to use the term "mental health day" would be nice. It should be enough.

A lot of people live and work while being mentally ill. There's a lot of stigma in the term, but if we were all transparent (and if the work environment allowed for that transparency) we'd probably all realize how much of us are struggling with varied issues. We all have an issue or two. Those who don't are the minority.

No comments:

Post a Comment