Friday, July 17, 2015

What's on your bucket list?

From a conversation I had with a friend last night. My buddy was talking to me about how he felt guilty for not having a bucket list for his future. How he didn't feel especially ambitious.


Isn't it mildly ridiculous the things we fixate on? I mean, on one side it isn't, ambition and "life goals" are something we hear about often. Success. Achievement. Vision boards. But these all assume a very narrow definition of success. They also assume a level of ability and intent that we're not all born with.

So we fixate on ambition and life goals, when really we're spending a lot of energy stressing out over things that may or may not happen. So much can change. There's so much luck and chance involved. So much chaos. Yes, we can work hard for certain goals, and achieve those goals, but there is no road map, and there are no guarantees. 

There's a lot of privilege in access to opportunity. Sure, sometimes you can take the time to find out who you are, and trek through the world, intern and try things. Dedicate yourself to one specific goal. But sometimes you have to pay the rent. Sometimes you have to just use what little energy you have to do very basic living. 

It's a specific kind of sad, when all we want is to have that desire for life that others seem to have naturally. 

I don't have a bucket list. I just want to simplify my life as best I can in order to cultivate as peaceful an existence as I can muster. 



No comments:

Post a Comment