Monday, July 6, 2015

Take a cold shower!

This article got my attention early on. First, because of a Lord of the Rings reference, and second because the tone is kind. The article is early to mention how most of us live in survival mode, which I read as truth. Articles that start under the assumption everything is great are already speaking a language I don’t understand. This piece by Benjamin Hardy lists a few ways to kick-start the day, including the adoption of cold-showers.


Cold water immersion radically facilitates physical and mental wellness. When practiced regularly, it provides long-lasting changes to your body’s immune, lymphatic, circulatory and digestive systems that improve the quality of your life. It can also increase weight-loss because it boosts your metabolism. 

A 2007 research study found that taking cold showers routinely can help treat depression symptoms often more effectively than prescription medications. That’s because cold water triggers a wave of mood-boosting neurochemicals which make you feel happy.

Anyway, the piece isn't life-changing, but it’s a reminder of the ways in which we can make manageable changes that might ease certain pains.

I know for that for me, I've been eating well for the last few days and I feel lighter and calmer. I’ve also been walking daily, and am looking forward to incorporating more vigorous exercise to my routine. So things are going well, and it's easier when I'm in an up-swing to look towards other changes that might keep that momentum going.

One day at a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment