Friday, April 17, 2015

Social Media and not being “liked.”

With social media, it's so easy to post something and declare your existence. Your sense of humour. Your ability to say something wise or clever. But then what?

What about cohesive thoughts? What about narrative? What about asking those around you serious, deep questions about the nature of life without it being "liked" or ignored.

If social media leads to the superficial, and we engage it constantly, is that what comes of our brains? Of our own thought processes?

I find myself thinking in 140 character snappy statements. I wonder about the validity of feeling isolated when I'm constantly connected.

I was hanging out with E and she was telling me about how there have been studies (through a educational/development lens) that have found that time spent in front of screens, especially video games and iPads, significantly limits a child’s (and most likely an adult’s) ability to self-regulate and be patient.

Yes. This. Of course. Of course.

That's a big part of this social-media alternate reality. It's instant, but it's distant. I have to remind myself to make eye contact while at work. I was born in 1984*. I wasn't raised with an iPhone in my hand. My brain was potentially fully formed (scientists say this happens in your 20’s). I am educated, and seemingly able to use logic, and I actively perpetuate an addictive social crutch. On top of the other ones I have going on.

I can’t help but think about what E said, and how much our habits really shape me. It’s really everyday.

I've been really busy at work this past week and a bit. We've been moving / renovating so it's been a hot mess. And you know me in a hot mess, I get “activated” and get involved, trying to fix and organize everything. I'm really handy, but I end up exhausted.

*I didn’t have a cell phone in high school (thankfuck, I shudder to think of the dumb stuff I would have done with a camera phone, I was so desperate for my first boyfriend). Dodged that bullet! Instead of my shame being immortalized on the internet, it lives in me! Huzzah! 

No comments:

Post a Comment