Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Ketamine.

The Washington Post has an article up on ketamine possibly being a new treatment for depression.

They're still a lot of caution tape on this, but the initial research seems promising.

Ketamine seems especially helpful in situations where immediate intervention is needed. Which, if you're suicidal or deeply depressed, can get you into a space where decisions about your well-being are easier to make. It also just alleviates suffering, which is often only mentioned in passing.

I have not always been suicidal, but that doesn't mean I'm not in constant pain. And sometimes, that baseline of pain is manageable, but sometimes it doesn't take much to make you incapacitated by a slight increase in psychological pain.

I'm always happy to read about research funding and the scientific findings happening around mental health and mental illness. Especially when it reminds me that there are people actively working on these things.

I often feel like it's not really happening. That nothing is changing. That this invisible disease isn't taken seriously. People have to take my word on my experience. My words fall flat to what it really feels like. This low-frequency hum that burrows into my chest.

 It's encouraging to know that relief could be possible.

Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment