Wednesday, August 3, 2016

EMDR Changed The Way I Remember My Trauma.

Check out EMDR Changed The Way I Remember My Trauma by Claire Foster, over on The Establishment. 

I am fascinated by EMDR:
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) is a simple series of eye movements that affect the way a traumatized brain retains memory. One therapist described it to me as “moving a traumatic memory from one filing cabinet to another.” EMDR seeks to file protruding memories into different folders, diminishing their intensity. “The key elements of treatment are the restoration of a full range of emotion and a sense of being able to again live in the present moment without PTSD’s ever-present emotional guardedness,” said Mulkerns (Heather Mulkerns, LCSW, psychoanalytic psychotherapist in Portland, Oregon).
Our brains are so fucking weird and complex. EMDR seemed to really help Claire, and her story is harrowing and inspiring. Being able to change brain patterns and memory with eye movement seems like fucking magic tomfoolery. It's wild. 

TJ Fuller cat crazy internet insane

No comments:

Post a Comment