Thursday, March 12, 2015

CLSC: "Nope."

I just got off the phone with the CLSC - another discouraging interaction with the mental health system.

Turns out they can’t really help me since they only offer short-term help and not long-term follow-up. So, they referred me to four places, UQAM’s mental health clinic (run by students. I called, they’re waiting list is full), a clinic that offers sliding-scale services (I called and left a message) and two women’s shelters.

Being referred to a women’s shelter makes me angry. I feel as though those are clearly emergency services that I’d rather not impede. Those services aren't for me. I have a roof over my head and a job, and I'm not in a dangerous relationship.

Of course, the CLSC representative ended the call as all other mental health services seem to, “I'm sorry I couldn't help you more, good luck, and if your situation changes please call us back.” What this means of course is if I'm actively suicidal I can call back and then they’ll (potentially) sort me out.

So unless I want to kill myself live, on the phone - they don’t have shit for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment